- Average US yearly income was $24,450
- Gas cost $.91.
- Average US house was $91,600.
- Average UK house was £61,020.
- Iraq-Iran war ends after eight years and 1.5 million dead. No appreciable change in borders.
- Iraq conducts poison gas attack on Kurds
- Libyan terrorists explode Pan Am jet over Lockerbie, Scotland, killing 259 on board and 11 on the ground.
- Solidarity movement in Poland brings about widespread strikes.
- Benazir Bhotto elected Prime Minister of Pakistan.
- Panama leader General Noriega arrested by US for drug smuggling and money laundering.
- Yassar Arafat invited to speak at the UN General Assembly.
- US warship shoots down Iranian passenger jet by mistake.
- Hubble Space Telescope put into operation (it needed glasses).
- Lasix surgery started.
- Stealth bomber is unveiled.
- CDs outsell cassettes for the first time.
- Rain Man showed us he could drive.
- Terrorists learned to Die Hard.
- We wondered Who Framed Roget Rabbit?.