- Average US yearly income was $22,400
- Gas cost $.89.
- Average US house was $89,430.
- Average UK house was £44,040.
- US bombs Libya in protest of Libyan sponsorship of terrorist attack in a disco in Germany.
- US and USSR reach arms talk agreement.
- Spain and Portugal join the EEC.
- Nuclear reactor at Chernobyl causes massive radioactive leak.
- Gorbachev introduces reforms in USSR including Perestroika (restructuring) and Glasnost (openness).
- Iran-Contra Affair revealed where Reagan's administration sold arms to Iran to get money to pay for support of rebels in Nicaragua.
- Mad Cow disease discovered in the UK.
- South Africa troops conduct raids in Zambia, Botswana, and Zimbabwe.
- Swedish Prime Minister assassinated.
- British newspaper reports Israel has 100 nuclear war heads.
- Space Shuttle Challenger explodes during liftoff.
- Independence: Micronesia from the UK.
- Fox Televisions becomes 4th major commercial broadcast network.
- First laptop computer produced.
- Nintendo video games introducted in US.
- Oprah Winfrey starts her show.
- Tom Cruise is the Top Gun.
- Cruise also challenges Paul Newman for The Color of Money.
- Men fight and kill in the Platoon.