- Average US yearly income was $3,510
- Gas cost $.19.
- Average US house was $9,000.
- Average UK house was £2,115.
- Julius and Ethel Rosenberg were convicted of giving US atomic secrets to the Soviets
- General MacArthur was replaced by Truman as Commander in the Korean War.
- The United Nations opened its headquarters in New York
- King Abdullah of Jordan was assassinated in Jerusalem
- Iran nationalized its oil fields
- China takes control of Tibet forcing the Dalai Lama to flee to India.
- Independence: Libya from Italy.
- Coast-to-coast direct dial telephones in service.
- Dennis The Menace is first published.
- Color television is introduced.
- Cleveland disk jockey Alan Freed coins the phrase Rock 'n Roll.
- Humphrey Bogart and Katherine Hepburn go aboard The African Queen.
- Marlon Brando and Vivien Leigh wait for A Streetcar Named Desire.
- Farley Granger learns not to talk to Strangers on a Train when he runs into Robert Walker.