- Average US yearly income was $2,850
- Gas cost $.15.
- Average US house was $6,600
- Average UK house was £1,824.
- CIA established.
- International Monetary Fund started.
- UFO supposedly found in Roswell.
- First of the Dead Sea Scrolls found in Qumran
- UN votes to partition Palestine between the Arabs and Jews.
- Sound Barrier was broken for the first time.
- Independence: India and Pakistan from the UK.
- ENIAC, one of the first computers, is turned on.
- Kodak reveals its first instant camera.
- The World Series is televised for the first time.
- Anti-Semitism is unveiled in the Gentleman's Agreement.
- A very young Natalie Wood was witnessing a Miracle on 34th Street.
- Elizabeth Taylor learns about a Life With Father.