- Average US yearly income was $14,100
- Gas cost $.44.
- Average US house was $39,300.
- Average UK house was £11,787.
- Spanish dictator Franco dies.
- US pulls out of Cambodia.
- South Vietnam falls as the North takes over.
- Suez Canal reopens.
- King Faisal of Saudi Arabia assassinated.
- Baader-Meinhof terrorists take 11 hostages in West German embassy in Stockholm. The concept of the Stockholm Syndrome results.
- Independence: Angola from Portugal, Suriname from Holland, Mozambique from Portugal.
- Bill Gates and Paul Allen found Microsoft.
- All three networks create a family hour free of sex and violence.
- Saturday Night Live gives us a reason to stay home that night.
- Both Betamax and VHS introduced.
- Jaws eats a boat.
- Nurse Ratched scared us and annoyed Nicholson in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.
- CIA proves even reading books can kill you in Three Days of the Condor.