- Average US yearly income was $42,409
- Gas cost $1.61.
- Average US house was $228,700.
- Average UK house was £------.
- The Euro becomes official currency of 12 EU members.
- NATO expands with the addition of 7 former Warsaw Pact countries: Bulgaria, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Romania, Slovenia, and Slovakia.
- Chechen rebels take 800 people hostage in a Moscow theater. When forces storm the building, 128 hostages die along with the 41 terrorists.
- Iraq rejects UN weapon inspections.
- Sri Lanka and Tamil Tigers sign a cease-fire agreement.
- North Korea admits it is trying to develop nuclear weapons.
- Venezuelan President Chavez ousted in a coup but then is reinstated.
- In Bali terrorists explode bombs in two nightclubs killing 202 and injuring 300+.
- Yassar Arafat trapped inside his Palistenian compound.
- Independence: East Timor from Indonesia
- American Idol fever hits the US.
- MTV invites us into the home of the Osbournes (some like me don't attend).
- Sarah Hughes does two triple-triple jumps in the Olympics.
- Enron executives start getting subpoenas instead of big pay checks.
- We continue our hobbit habit with The Two Towers.
- Bond has an invisible car in Die Another Day while Matt Damon establishes The Bourne Identity.
- Everyone is caught in the web of Spiderman.