- Average US yearly income was $13,900
- Gas cost $.55.
- Average US house was $34,900.
- Average UK house was £10,990.
- IRA leaves bombs in London at the Tower of London and House of Parliament.
- US President Nixon resigns.
- Kissinger gets Syria and Israel to agree over Golan Heights.
- Turkey invades Northern Cyprus.
- India becomes sixth nation to have a nuclear weapon.
- Isabel Peron becomes President of Argentina when her husband dies in office.
- Soviets expel Solzhenitsyn.
- Pocket calculators start being sold in stores.
- People magazine goes on sale.
- First use of bar codes in a supermarket in Ohio.
- Patti Smith introduces punk rock with Hey Joe.
- Jack Nicholson gets a broken nose in Chinatown.
- Skyscrapers can be terrifying places in The Towering Inferno.
- Camp fires will never be the same since Blazing Saddles.