- Average US yearly income was $21,600
- Gas cost $1.10.
- Average US house was $86,730.
- Average UK house was £37,182.
- Toxic gas leak at a Union Carbide factory in Bhopal, India, kills thousands.
- UK and China agree to return Hong Kong in 1997.
- Indian Prime Minister Indira Ghandi assassinated.
- USSR and Warsaw Pact countries boycott Olympics in the US.
- IRA tries to blow up Brighton hotel where the Conservatives were holding their convention.
- Independence: Brunei from the UK.
- First CD players hit the market.
- AT&T is broken up.
- DNA starts being used by forensic scientists.
- Astronauts fly in space using jet backpacks instead of tethers.
- Ghostbusters were being called a lot.
- Composer Amadeus Mozart entertained us before he died young.
- A couple of million died in The Killing Fields.