- Average US yearly income was $40,523
- Gas cost $3.39
- Average US house was $238,880
- Average UK house was £------.
- Ethnic violence in Kenya worsens.
- In Pakistan Benazir Bhutto killed while campaigning. Political unrest worsens.
- In the US, housing loan crisis sparks massive bank failures and economic turmoil.
- Cuba sees Fidel Castro stepping down after nearly 50 years of rule - hands control to his brother.
- In Russia, Medvedev elected President but Putin is appointed Prime Minister and still holds the reins.
- Zimbabwe has elections and Mugabe loses but then he ignores the results and a crack down occurs.
- International Criminal Court formerly charges Sudanese President al-Bashir with genocide.
- Georgia sends troops to put down rebel in Ossetia region but then Russia sends in troops. France brokers truce. US sends observers to Georgia.
- Large Hadron Collider in Europe starts working - broken after 9 days.
- Writers strike for 3 months in Hollywood, really opening the door for reality tv.
- Blu-ray kicking HD DVD butt.
- China joins the space party with a spacewalk by a astronaut aboard the Shenzhou-VII.
- The Dark Knight kicked serious butt/
- Bond had a Quantum of Solace.
- Iron Man really, really rocked.