Ruby Redfort is an agent with Spectrum.
Spectrum, according to the "elegant and strikingly beautiful, immaculately groomed" woman who calls herself 'LB' and who runs the organization, is a very secret agency. "To put it simply, we work outside the government but not against the government". She assures Redfort when they first meet that her group are the 'good good guys' and when Redfort points out that everyone always thinks they're the good guys, LB agrees but adds, "happily for us, we are".
The agency came to notice Redfort when she was 8 and had created a code for a competition which Harvard experts had needed two weeks to break. They have been following her progress in the five years since and have only now actually needed someone of her skills for a mission. That is when they presented a puzzle of sorts to her knowing that if she could solve it, she would not only prove up to the task they had for her but also likely to be intrigued enough to consider the offer.
Redfort's parents are Brant and Sabina Redfort, fabulously rich socialites, not the "brightest buttons in the box" but well liked by the community in which they live. Neither has any idea that Redfort is working for Spectrum.
Redfort was kind enough to provide a fact sheet on herself from which we learn:
- She is 13 years old.
- She is "every smart kid's smart kid"
- She is Sassy, cute, brainy, and fearless as well, except for small dark spaces, which she is rather scared by .. but isn't everybody?
- At first glace she is a very ordinary looking girl "until you look a little longer". Petite and small for her years.
- Eyes are different shades of green
- Teeth are small and doll-like
- Hair is dark brown with a side parting across her right eye and always secured by a barrette.
- Usually seen in jeans and a T-shirt printed with either the somewhat hostile word 'bozo', an interesting number '1729', or some statement like 'bored beyond belief'.
Redfort has a list of, apparently, 81 rules to live and operate by. Not all of these have been revealed to those following her adventures but many have. Some of these are particularly good:
- Rule 6: Never have a friend who would sell you out
- Rule 10: Never reveal your hand to a psychopath
- Rule 19: Panic will freeze your brain
- Rule 24: Stay alive long enough to figure out your next move
- Rule 32: Tell one lie and get ready to tell a whole lot more
- Rule 36: Always come up with Plan B before you have embarked on Plan A
- Rule 40: If you ain't breathing, you ain't surviving
- Rule 79: What to do if you meet a bear- wish you hadn't!
- Rule 80: Don't stand on a window ledge if you aren't completely sure whether it opens inwards or outwards