Threat Matrix is a daily report.
The team detailed here is dedicated to taking the facts from that report and do whatever it takes to handle the items deemed most likely to endanger the citizenry of the U.S.
We are told at the beginning of the first recorded adventure, "Every morning the President receives a report that updates the most active terrorist threats against the United States. This report is called the Threat Matrix." A briefing to the press concerning this unnamed operation add, "The Department of Homeland Security handpicked teams of agents from the CIA, the FBI and the NSA to analyze and respond to the Threat Matrix report. Now their job is to keep up safe. ... We are making progress."
From that last statement it is possible to infer that there are more than one team active doing the same sort of work that the team we follow is doing. By the same token, of course, it is more than possible that this was a bit of disinformation and the team in question here is in fact the only one.
Taking orders directly from the President, or at least through Colonel Roger Atkins, the liaison between the Chief Executive and the team, the members of this really unnamed group enjoys an exceptional level of privilege. Transportation is immediately provided to wherever they need to go. Supplies of just about anything are readily available. Even extra manpower is at the whim of the team leader though the people he already has on a regular basis is pretty impressive.
The membership of the team comes from several different sources, likely the leader being handpicked by Atkins and the others chosen by the leader. FBI, CIA, NSA, DEA, the list of alphabet agents from which the team has been pulled in impressive. The members of the team are:
- John Kilmer - The leader of the team. This former FBI agent is in his late 30's. He has an almost but not quite sardonic attitude, likely stemming from an assurance in his team's abilities and the level of authority behind his actions. He is reasonably respectful of others but is in no way intimated by anyone challenging him.
- Frankie Ellroy-Kilmer - Another operative pulled from the ranks of the FBI (?). She and John Kilmer had been married for a time and still possess considerable feeling for each other. She is an excellent field agent and no qualms about heading into any trouble spot.
- Mohammad 'Mo' Hassain - An Egyptian-American formerly with the CIA
- Lia 'Lark" Larkin - A former FBI expert in forensics, extremely useful in finding out answers to questions of who did what and how.
- Tim Vargas - Previously with the DEA, he is an expert in the movement and methods of drug smuggling.
- Holly Brodeen - Resident computer expert, she is deaf but excels at sign language and apparently lip reading. She is a whiz behind the keyboard.
- Jelani Harper - Technical genius with exceptional skills at telecommunications.